A life of luxury is what prompts people to work hard and earn money. After a long day at work, what an individual craves the most is good food, and most importantly, a good night’s sleep. Ironically, sleep is the most sought-after luxury a person can ever wish for, but unfortunately, it is what is compromised when we decide to choose other luxuries over this. Sleep is the time when our body gets the opportunity to repair the wear and tear it undergoes throughout the day. Imagine the consequence of not getting ample sleep or not sleeping at all.
People usually have trouble falling asleep because of stress. A restless mind won’t allow us a peaceful sleep, and since we are working individuals with an overactive mind, a lullaby too won’t do the trick. When the inability to sleep borders on insomnia, that is when you would be looking at serious health-related issues. Many people opt for over-the-counter (OTC) medications to combat sleep deprivation, but a prolonged use of the same would result in adverse side-effects. In such cases, natural sleeping aids would act as your “knights in shining armors.”
Natural sleeping aids are those products that are 100% natural, with no side-effects and can promote relaxation to induce sleep. OTC medications can mess up with the bodily functions and can even interfere with an individual’s usual medicines. So, instead of resting on the horns of dilemma one can opt for natural sleeping aids, which wouldn’t have any adverse effects on their health.
Here’s a list of top 7 natural sleeping aids that would help you sleep like a baby!
- Passion flower- Many times we cannot sleep well because we have some form of anxiety gnawing at different corners of our mind. Anxiety and stress are the two main culprits responsible for people losing their sleep. The passion flower is known to calm our nerves and get rid of the anxiety. So, one can brew some passion tea and sip away! In no time would you sense the passion flower working its magic on you, and you would slowly drift toward a peaceful sleep with the help of this natural sleeping aid.
- Valerian- Another valuable natural sleeping aid, Valerian has been used since ancient times by apothecaries trying to cure their insomniac patients. Valerian is a plant whose roots have been known for its medicinal properties. It is known to increase the level of Gamma Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) which plays a major role in helping our nerves calm. This calming effect is what makes it the perfect choice for individuals who suffer from sleepless nights. Again, brew a valerian tea, and overlook the odor. It definitely works!
- Saint John’s Wort- In a bid to acquire everything under the sun, people end up suffering from or battling depression. It is usually accompanied by insomnia. Saint John’s Wort is one of the natural sleeping aids that cures depression and insomnia naturally. The secret of this plant lies in the fact that it is high in serotonin, which means more melatonin, which in turns indicates better sleep. So, add 2 teaspoons of dried Saint John’s Wort to boiling water, strain it, and drink the potion half an hour before bedtime.
- Tart cherry juice- Tart cherry juice a day, would help sleep come your way. It is a natural sleeping aid since it contains tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid that brings the harbinger of sleep to our bodies. It converts to serotonin, which transforms to melatonin. Melatonin lowers our body temperature and causes drowsiness. A tart cherry juice and a cozy blanket would do the trick for the sleep-deprived population.
- Say yes to more melatonin- At times, we are sleep-deprived when our body is deprived of melatonin. Melatonin is the hormone responsible for regulating the sleep pattern and circadian rhythms. So, include foods high in tryptophan, such as bananas and cherries, since it helps it gets metabolized to serotonin and then finally into melatonin.
- Chamomile- Another ancient remedy that has been helping people battle insomnia since ages, chamomile is known to effectively bring sleep to the sleep-deprived population. Chamomile is known to possess the power to relax our muscles, calm our nerves, and finally bring sleep to the troubled mind. It is mostly consumed as a tea, and a cup of chamomile tea a day would work wonders.
- Magnesium- A lack of balanced diet can result in a deficiency of minerals, and if magnesium deficiency is what you suffer from, then your insomnia is caused due to this deficiency. Magnesium is responsible for the proper functioning of the GABA receptors, which is responsible for calming one’s nerves and thus, induces sleep. So, include foods rich in magnesium to your daily diet.
Now that you are aware of the natural sleeping aids, choose one and bid adieu to sleepless nights.