Wisdom tooth pain can be agonizing. Very few people are lucky enough not to go through the excruciating pain that the third molars or wisdom teeth cause while trying to make their way through the gum. It is not only the pain; the agony can also often involve redness, swelling, and tenderness around the affected area. All this surely cause a lot of discomforts; however, there are simple ways to get wisdom tooth pain relief. Simple everyday things at home can give wisdom tooth pain relief. Here are some quick remedies that can keep the pain at bay until medical help is sought.
- Warm Salt Water: Saltwater is a great pain reliever. Dissolve one or two teaspoons of salt in warm water and swish it around your mouth before spitting it out. Rinsing the mouth with warm salt water for a few minutes is sure to bring a noticeable respite from the ache.
- Clove: Clove is one of the best-known wisdom tooth pain relief treatments. Many people use this spice to soothe an annoying toothache. A whole clove or extracted oil from the spice can soothe tooth pain quite effectively. Keep a whole clove in your mouth, place it on the painful area where the affected wisdom tooth is hurting. You can gently bite it at intervals to release the juice of the clove, but don’t chew the clove or throw it until the ache has subsided considerably. In case you choose clove oil, just a few drops will do the trick. Rub a few drops of the extract directly onto the affected area and the adjacent gum. The discomfort will be alleviated, and this method can be repeated several times a day in case the pain occurs again.
- Icepack: Icepack is not only good for reducing toothaches but also helps in bringing down the swelling. For effective wisdom tooth pain relief, put some ice in a plastic bag or use a commercial ice pack or a gel ice pack and apply it on the outside of the cheek on the affected side. This process of applying an ice pack off and on for a few minutes can be repeated several times of the day to reduce pain and discomfort.
- Garlic: Garlic has good healing power and acts as an effective antiseptic and antibacterial agent. Chewing on a garlic clove, rubbing garlic paste on the affected area, or combining garlic paste with salt and applying the mixture cautiously onto the affected tooth for few minutes can bring much wisdom tooth pain relief. Be careful, too much of garlic paste can result in a burning sensation.
- Onion: If the smell and the taste of onion don’t bother you, then this can be one of the best natural remedies for wisdom tooth pain relief. Cut an onion into pieces. Take a piece and place it in your mouth where the tooth hurts. Keep the onion inside the mouth for about 10 minutes, bite into it from time to time to release some juice. The aftertaste and smell that onion leaves behind in the mouth may not be too pleasant, but it sure is a wonderful way to get rid of that irritating toothache.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful ingredient to have at home because of its proven health benefits. Starting from weight loss, bringing down sugar levels to soothing a toothache, this lovely liquid works wonders in most situations. To cure that horrible toothache, soak a small cotton ball with apple cider vinegar, and place on the aching tooth and bite down the cotton gently for about ten minutes. After the pain subsides, rinse your mouth with plain water. The water should not be too cold or hot. This trick works quickly for most people and is worth giving a try.
- Pepper: Black pepper has anti-inflammatory properties, and this helps to curb a toothache. This spice is also great for treating teeth sensitivity problems. The use is quite simple; you can use crushed peppercorns directly onto the affected tooth or make a paste of a pepper powder and clove oil and put a pinch of it on the tooth. There’s still another way of tackling the pain; mix a pinch of black pepper with three or four pinches of table salt and apply the mixture directly on the aching tooth for instant wisdom tooth pain relief.
- Guava Leaves: Guava leaves are not hard to find. Guava leaves alleviate a wisdom toothache effectively and quickly. Take a bunch of guava leaves, wash them and boil them for a few minutes in water. When the leaves cool down, chew some for a minute or so and spit them out. This should help in reducing the agony you’re experiencing. Another way is to boil the guavas with a pinch of salt and use that water just like mouthwash.
Different remedies work for different people, but some of these are sure to work for you. Try out these simple home remedies, and they should fix the aching tooth till you visit your dentist.