Diarrhea is one of the common conditions that happen to humans.In fact, it is the second most common ailment faced by humans, after common cold. Doctors have said that an average human goes through diarrhea at least once till the age of 15 years. The main reason for diarrhea is your gastrointestinal system facing some troubles. This leads to watery stools, stomach cramps, and bloating in some cases. Watery stools common in the condition of diarrhea. However, some effective diarrhea remedies can help you evade the condition.
Various reasons can cause diarrhea, here are some of the common ones.
- Alcohol abuse
- Allergies from foods
- Ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Bacterial infections
- Laxative abuse
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Radiation therapy
- Digestive system surgeries
Different types of diarrhea
- Osmotic diarrhea: Osmotic diarrhea is caused when the digestive system does not have the ability to absorb a set of components from food items. These components include sugars, sugar alcohols, and some minerals. One of the diarrhea remedies is giving your body a break from high fructose (sugar) containing fruits.
- Secretory diarrhea: Diarrhea that is caused by stomach infections is called as secretory diarrhea, the main reason is secretion of water and salts into the stools. The stomach infection releases toxins that secrete water and salt, thereby interfering with the intestines. The remedy for this type of diarrhea is to increase the intake of water.
- Exudative diarrhea: Mucus, blood or other fluids are released when there is a swelling on the line of the colon, this is usually the case in exudative diarrhea. This kind of diarrhea is closely related to diseases like cancer, tuberculosis, and irrigational bowel disease. Home remedies for diarrhea will not work best for exudative diarrhea, you must consult a doctor.
- Paradoxical diarrhea: A paradoxical diarrhea is not actually a condition of diarrhea, it is more like constipation which causes troubles in stools. It is also called a fecal impaction. The watery stools flow around the hard stool in the rectum. Most diarrhea remedies do not apply for paradoxical diarrhea, as it is also a condition of the mind.
If you are someone who faces diarrhea on a regular basis, then the following diarrhea remedies can work well for you.
Diarrhea can be one of the major causes of dehydration, and it could also lead to hyper dehydration if the condition worsens. The body losses a lot of fluids through the watery stools, leading to a system that lacks hydration. Hence, one of the diarrhea remedies includes hydration; even if this can’t cure the issue entirely, it definitely helps in making it better. If a baby is facing diarrhea, they must be breastfed more often than regular as they might be excessively dehydrated. The older adults must often stay hydrated too, as they might not have the strongest immune system at their age.
A healthy gut can lead to the quick eviction of any kind of diarrhea. One of the best diarrhea remedies is in taking a high amount of pro-biotics; pro-biotics are a great source of “good” bacteria and can induce a healthy gut environment. The “good” bacteria works wonders in your intestinal tract which leads to a healthy gut. Good bacteria are a set of live microorganisms that are present in the following list of foods:
- Aged soft cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Dark chocolate
- Green olives
- Sourdough bread
There are many over-the-counter medicines that you can adopt as one of the diarrhea remedies for your acute diarrhea, but make sure you consult a doctor before taking any kind of medication. Also, please note that these medicines can help you only with acute diarrhea. In a case of chronic diarrhea, you must visit your doctor and get advice from them. That is because these drugs only have the potency to relive you from diarrhea, but they cannot treat the issue that is causing diarrhea. If your infant is below three years old and is suffering from diarrhea then you must take them to the doctor right away.
You might not have the instinct to eat anything while you are suffering from diarrhea, but it is necessary for you to eat in any condition, to keep your system running. There is a certain set of food that you can adopt during diarrhea without worsening your condition. Try to include low-fiber foods, like the following:
Apart from low-fiber foods, there is also a list of some foods that can help you fight diarrhea:
- Skin-peeled baked potatoes
- Chicken soup
Foods to avoid
Diarrhea will leave you in a condition that will make you lose your appetite, but as mentioned above, eating is important. Although you must make sure that you do not eat anything that is going to worsen your situation. Avoid having the following list of food items:
- Fatty foods
- Milk and dairy products
- Alcohol or caffeinated drinks
- Artificial sweeteners
- Tainted food items