Among all types of skin textures, dry skin is one of the toughest to handle. Apart from people who naturally have flaky skin, most people will experience dryness as the winter approaches resulting in dullness, pigmentation, and itchiness on the face. Naturally, you have to alter your skin care ritual as season transitions. However, a skin care regime is influenced by a range of factors such as age, gender, skin type, skin concerns, and preferences. So, it is apparent that an identical skin care system or a single product will not work for all individuals. However, you can take a number of measures that can help you achieve revitalized skin even in winters.
Following are some helpful dry skin care tips you can incorporate in your daily skincare ritual. Since the facial skin is sensitive, these mostly focus on using the right elements for cleansing and moisturizing.
- Coconut oil – If you don’t like using manufactured products, then you can use coconut oil to hydrate your skin. Just take a few drops of the oil and apply it to your face before bedtime. Apart from moisturizing, coconut oil is also an excellent makeup remover which gets rid of all the grime from your face. Likewise, it also has antibacterial properties which curb infections such as breakouts and tackles premature aging and wrinkling of the skin.
- Milk – Do you have sensitive skin? Then try milk instead of chemical face washes and creams. Apply some cold milk and oats on your face and wipe it away with cotton. You can also combine milk with turmeric to fight lifeless skin. Apart from nurturing the skin, milk also is an excellent dry skin care tip for slowing down fine lines and managing sunburn. However, ensure you only use milk if you don’t suffer from acne.
- Honey – One of the best dry skin care tips is using honey on your face. This natural sweetener has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities which help the skin cells heal and reconstruct. The best part is that it beautifully blends with other natural elements such as milk, lemon, yogurt, oatmeal, yogurt, rosewater, turmeric, essential oils, etc. So, you can use it as an exfoliator, skin conditioner, face wash, face pack, etc.
- Gentle face cleansers – Most cleansers have one goal to clean the face efficiently. However, in this process, they can rob the skin of their essential oils leading to additional skin issues such as flakiness, breakouts, wrinkling, lack of radiance, etc. Therefore, ensure that you carefully pick a cleanser that not only washes your face but also moisturizes it adequately; moreover, ensure to make this dry skin care tip a part of your daily regime as per your needs. Look for products that include ingredients such as cocoa or shea butter, lanolin, paraffin, beeswax, oils (jojoba, almond, coconut, etc.) glycerin, etc. Ensure that these products don’t have any dehydrating agents and chemical fragrances.
- Moisturizer – Having a hydrating cleanser during the days of winter can’t be enough. Moreover, if the natural moisturizers like coconut oil, milk, honey, etc., don’t fit in your preferences, then you can pick products from commercial brands. Some of the popular moisturizers that you can currently find in the market are Mullein & Sparrow Facial Serum, Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Day Lotion, L’Occitane Pure Shea Butter, Sibu Beauty, Yes to Cucumbers Daily Calming Moisturizer SPF 30, Perricone MD Hypoallergenic Nourishing Moisturizer, Origins High-Potency Night-A-Mins Cream, etc. The kind of cream or serum you pick depends on your skin condition. If your skin is excessively dry, then you might need a heavy moisturizer. Moreover, if you have a normal skin, then you will need a light hydrating serum.
Apart from using the dry skin care tips mentioned above, you should also make necessary changes in your regime and environment.
- Balanced skin regime – During the winters, it is advised to not wash the skin with a cleanser for more than two times. This is because unwarranted washing and rubbing the skin can lead to peeling, patches, and irritation. If you have relatively oily skin, then you can use cleansers thrice a day. Also, remember to use lukewarm water to clean the face.
- Humidifier – Dry skin is primarily a result of the lack of moisture in the air. So, you can get a humidifier to increase the moistness in the atmosphere. In this manner when you are at home, there is no need to put in extra efforts to keep your skin conditioned.
- Water – Increase your water intake, as it will replenish your skin with all the lost moisture. This is one of the best natural ways to maintain the fluid balance in the body.
After using dry skin care tips and suggestions, you should see some discerning results on your face. However, if the dryness of your skin doesn’t improve, then visit a dermatologist. Dryness could often be a sign of an underlying skin condition; therefore, ensure that you get it diagnosed in time to prevent any inconvenience later.