Intestinal gas, stomach aches, and uncomfortable bloating are some common ailments experienced by most people. Stomach gas pains are caused by improper digestion, diarrhea, constipation, and so on. It causes a lot of discomforts, especially when the intestinal gas (also known as flatus) is not expelled from the body. The gas builds up in the intestine thereby leading to pain. Most of the time, stomach gas pains are not much serious but are just a result of the digestive system going haywire momentarily.
However, recurring episodes of stomach gas pains can be an indication of something more serious that may warrant immediate medical attention. If you tend to suffer from frequent bouts of stomach gas pains, visit a doctor and get yourself tested.
Common signs of benign stomach gas pain
There are certain signs of gas pains that are quite benign and go away with simple stomach gas pains remedies.
- An urge to belch or pass gas, which once done, gives immediate relief from stomach pain and bloating.
- The bloating or pain goes away and does not persist for long.
- Changes in dietary habits reduce the occurrences of bloating and excess gas.
- The bloating or pain goes away when less air is swallowed.
Serious health problems associated with stomach gas pains
There are instances when stomach gas pain is a symptom of another health issue, which can be aggravated if left untreated for long. In such cases, stomach pain is accompanied by other symptoms. Stomach gas pains can be symptoms of the following ailments:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Kidney stones or gall stones
- Inflammation of the gall bladder
- Abdomen tumor
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Lactose intolerance
These ailments can be diagnosed through medical tests such as blood test, endoscopy, CT scan, and X-ray.
Treating stomach gas pains with natural remedies
If there are persistent bouts of stomach gas pains, it is necessary to consult a doctor and follow a prescribed treatment plan to avoid further health complications. However, an occasional occurrence can be treated with natural stomach gas pains remedies. Most of these stomach gas pain remedies can be easily done with ingredients available at home.
- Apple cider vinegar: A very common home remedy, apple cider vinegar is often used as one of the most effective stomach gas pains remedies as well. The high enzyme and alkaline content of apple cider vinegar help in digestion and eliminates excess gas from the intestines. This gives instant relief from pain caused due to gas. A solution can be made by mixing two teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with a glass of warm water. Let the solution cool to room temperature. Drink this solution twice daily.
- Yellow mustard: This is one of those stomach gas pains remedies that use acid to fight acid. Yellow mustard has a high content of acetic acid. Having one teaspoon to one tablespoon of regular yellow mustard followed by a glass of warm water provides instant relief from stomach gas pains. This is done by lowering acidity levels in the stomach. The presence of turmeric in yellow mustard also heals the digestive system and adds to gut health.
- Lemon and baking soda: This is one of the quick stomach gas pains remedies that should be taken with caution. This is because an excess of baking soda is harmful to health. Mix the juice of half a lemon with warm water and one teaspoon of baking soda. This solution should be taken immediately. This stomach gas pains remedy is not recommended for people on a sodium-restricted diet.
- Ginger: Ginger has antiemetic powers with carminative effect. It relaxes the intestinal tracts and eliminates gas from the intestines. Ginger can be combined with various ingredients to make effective stomach gas pains remedies. One of the remedies is mixing one teaspoon of equal amounts of ground ginger, cardamom, and fennel with water and a pinch of asafoetida. This solution can be consumed once or twice in a day. Another way is to chew one sliver of fresh ginger after every meal. This prevents an excess production of gas.
- Peppermint: Peppermint tea or supplements has been known to be one of the effective natural stomach gas pains remedies. Peppermint tea can be consumed before every meal to avoid the production of gas. Supplements based on peppermint should be taken with caution since it can interfere with other medications and the absorption of iron. In some cases, peppermint supplements can also cause heartburn.
- Probiotics: Making probiotics a regular part of the daily diet can be one of the best stomach gas pains remedies. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that keep the gut healthy. This boosts the immune system, prevents diseases related to the digestive tract, and keeps skin diseases at bay. Probiotics such as yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, and tempeh not only give relief from stomach bloating but also eliminates gas from the abdomen.