Alcoholism is the severe dependency and inability to control on consumption of alcohol by an individual. This type of addiction is irrespective of legal and health issues. Alcohol rehabilitation program provides services and recovery treatments to people who are addicted to alcohol. The addiction could be to the point that they might start experiencing health deterioration due to overconsumption of alcohol and withdrawal symptoms on quitting alcohol even for a brief period of time.
Goals of an alcohol rehabilitation program
- The first and foremost important goal of an alcohol rehabilitation program is to end alcohol abuse. It can be achieved by making gradual psychological, personal and interpersonal changes that can help you remain abstinent from alcohol.
- The rehabilitation program also aims to improve overall health and explain the benefits of sobriety, aiming to reduce future health risks.
- Being addicted to alcohol comes with its set of psychiatric disorders and psychological problems. This is because the person has been addicted to alcohol for a significant amount of time. This could be because of an underlying psychological trauma and psychiatric disorder that might have stemmed from the previous physical or mental abuse.
- The program also aims to make the person completely addiction-free and integrate back into the society. These programs help the rehabilitees and former alcoholics to meet educational and employment needs. They also help them resolve legal issues that they might have had before rehabilitation.
How does an alcoholic rehabilitation program work?
Alcohol rehabilitation program works on the idea of keeping the person under observation until they are free from addiction. As it has been mentioned in the previous section that, a person addicted to alcohol might be due to an underlying condition, there is a high possibility that the person might quit the program and resume to their old routine. Following are some steps based on which the rehabilitation program works:
- Alcohol assessment
The staff at the rehabilitation program usually assesses the rehabilitee’s personal situation and creates a unique program. The assessment includes a drug test, psychological screening, and also assesses personal and medical circumstances.
- Psychological alcoholism treatment
One of the most important steps in alcohol rehabilitation treatment is the psychological treatments that are given to provide future sobriety. This phase helps in analyzing and assessing emotional state to prevent future relapses.
- Detoxification from alcohol
Alcohol detoxification begins at least 3 hours after the last drink. It requires medical supervision. In most of the cases, the medical staff of the rehabilitation center is well equipped to monitor the condition, ensuring to clear alcohol from the system. In severe cases, the rehabilitation center might refer the person to other in-patient detoxification clinics.
It involves using medications to help and reduce craving for alcohol. Currently, medications such as Acamprosate and Naltrexone are used to reduce cravings and cope with withdrawal symptoms. These medications help with sobriety given the fact that the person should have true desire to change their beliefs and behavior towards the addiction.
- Education on Alcohol abuse
Educating a rehabilitee is the most important part of alcohol rehabilitation program. The education aims to provide information on how alcohol affects the central and peripheral nervous system and what is the reason for its psychological dependence. The theories based on alcoholism and alcohol addiction help you make more rational choices, helping the person avoid alcohol in the future.
- Supportive services
The final step of the alcohol rehabilitation program is the support services. These services aim to empower a former alcoholic and maintain abstinence from alcohol. These rehabilitation programs help with forming a network of a supportive group, that will influence the person’s life in a positive manner.
Based on the above-mentioned factors, here are some popular drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs and centers.
- Indiana Center of Recovery
Located in Bloomington, Indiana Center of Recovery’s treatment approach is based on five domains- physically fit, mentally sound, emotionally mature, socially responsible, and spiritually resilient. Their facility contains physicians, clinical psychologists, therapists, and licensed addiction counselors.
- Recovery Team
This drug and alcohol rehabilitation program is located in North Palm Beach, Florida and was set up in 1980. The Recovery Team alcohol and drug rehabilitation program includes Biofeedback, EDMR treatments, trauma intensive therapy, Individual and group counseling, nutritional counseling, activity therapy and many other sessions.
- Decision point
It is located in Prescott, Arizona. Decision Point Center treats opiates, alcohol, cocaine, and other illicit substances. The center treats these addictions using dialectical behavioral therapy, family therapy, and reprocessing and relapsed treatment.
- Center City Recovery
This drug and alcohol rehabilitation program is located in Philadelphia and is an outpatient aftercare program that provides its clients with a group and personalized treatments. The treatment programs include relapse prevention, naloxone education, acupuncture, community responsibility, and accountability.
Log on to their official website to know more about these above-mentioned alcohol and drug programs. Carefully research each treatment center and pick the one that best suits your condition.