Apple cider vinegar is prepared by combining apples with yeast which makes it a fermented health tonic with all the goodness of apples. Apple cider vinegar has a composition of 5% acetic acid. This also contains various other vitamins and minerals from which you can benefit in many ways.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can benefit us in many ways. Let us look at some of the benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar:
– Apple cider vinegar helps in losing weight. This is possible as the vinegar breaks down the fats and helps in losing weight.
– Drinking apple cider vinegar helps in fighting bad breath. Its antibacterial properties help in removing plaque from the teeth in a natural way. It also helps in killing the bacteria in the mouth and acts as a natural mouth freshener.
– Apple cider vinegar helps in reducing heart diseases. One who drinks apple cider vinegar can lower the risks of heart diseases.
– The vinegar helps in keeping the blood sugars under control. Drinking apple cider vinegar helps in fighting diabetes.
– The vinegar helps in the process of digestion as apple cider vinegar is a fermented tonic.
– Drinking apple cider vinegar helps in reducing the risk of cancer. The polyphenols help in coping with stress which can help in fighting cancer and other stress-related diseases.
– The vinegar helps in slowing down the aging process and reducing wrinkles.
Besides these benefits, there are also some side effects or disadvantages of apple cider vinegar. Following are some side effects of drinking apple cider vinegar in large quantities:
– We have seen that apple cider vinegar is beneficial as it regulates the blood sugar levels. The consumption of vinegar in large quantities can slow down the process of food entering into the digestive tract from the stomach. This delays the process of digestion and it can lead to many other side effects such as delayed absorption of sugars into the bloodstream, delay in sending the waste out of the body, bloating of the stomach, nausea, etc.
– The process of digestion may become unpleasant as the food may get putrefied due to the delay in the digestion process.
– If the consumption of apple cider vinegar is more, it can affect the bones. The bones can lose their strength as the vinegar is acidic in nature. This happens only when the vinegar is consumed in large doses over an extended period of time.
– If apple cider vinegar is consumed in large doses over time, there is a danger of losing tooth enamel. The acetic acid present in the vinegar causes the erosion of tooth enamel.
– The esophagus can get damaged due to drinking apple cider vinegar in large quantities. This can lead to a burning sensation in the esophagus and other side effects if one drinks apple cider vinegar in large quantities on a regular basis.
– There can be some side effects such as low insulin production or decrease in the levels of phosphorus when drinking apple cider vinegar in combination with various medications related to diabetes or other diseases. So care should be taken that apple cider vinegar is not consumed in combination with any medicine.
As any medicine has both good and bad effects. Drinking apple cider vinegar in a limited quantity can be beneficial to health and when the dosage increases, it can lead to various side effects.
It is always advisable to start with smaller doses of vinegar and increase the dosage gradually. However, the dosage should never be more than 30ml which is 2 tablespoons. It is better to mix the apple cider vinegar with water and honey to get better results. Care should be taken that the vinegar is not consumed as is.
One should not be drinking apple cider vinegar when suffering from heart disease, gastroenteritis, or some other digestion-related issues as the problem can get severe. The dosage is the main factor which can be beneficial or which can lead to side effects; therefore, one should ensure to take care when drinking apple cider vinegar.
As there are so many benefits from apple cider vinegar, it can also be used in food preparations, salads, etc., as it improves digestion. It is better if the vinegar is not given to children as it may irritate the digestive system. Older adults when trying to take the apple cider vinegar should take it in a minimum quantity and then increase the dosage gradually.
Care should be taken that there are no irritations or allergies on the skin or anywhere in the body when drinking apple cider vinegar. If there is any allergy or irritation, the consumption should then be discontinued immediately.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can be beneficial in multiple ways. Consuming a limited quantity of apple cider vinegar will benefit your body in the long run and aid in promoting good health.