It is a well-established fact that every person wants to stay fit in this era marked by a sedentary lifestyle. There are many ways to keep that dreaded belly fat away with exercise being one of them. However, exercise alone cannot work well unless it is supported by a healthy, nutritious diet. Low-fat yogurt is a superfood that adds on to the immense amount of advantages that a regular box of yogurt already provides. Hence, for all the fitness freaks out there, don’t miss out on this one.
Generally, yogurt is made by carefully fermenting cow’s milk; however, some manufacturers also make use of soy or goat’s milk. Now, depending on the type of yogurt made, that is, whole, skimmed or non-fat, the time duration involved in the fermentation process will vary. There have been mixed reviews about low-fat yogurt with some swearing by its health benefits while others calling it another marketing gimmick by food processing companies. In simple terms, low-fat yogurt has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Here are some things you need to know about low-fat yogurt.
- Probiotics – This refers to the set of bacteria that is good for the human body, particularly the gastrointestinal tract. Low-fat yogurt naturally contains these microorganisms and helps improve metabolism to a great extent. Some manufacturers take an extra step and add more of these good bacteria, thereby making low-fat yogurt extremely healthy. But these additional bacteria come with a huge price tag.
- Nutrition content – As the name suggests, this product is characterized by fermentation of low fat or skimmed milk. The nutritional figures will depend upon the type of brand you purchase since products of every company differ in terms of price and quality. Approximately, a normal box would contain 3.8 grams of fat, 15 mg of cholesterol, and 400 mg of calcium. These figures are a lot less as compared to those of the regular yogurt available in the market.
- Weight maintenance – The biggest advantage of consuming low-fat yogurt is that it makes you feel full and does not add on to the calories. So you get to relish the taste of refreshing yogurt but not at the cost of your health.
- Healthy digestive tract – There are numerous good bacteria already present in the digestive system such as lactobacilli and Bifidobacterium. Low-fat yogurt is responsible for replenishing these micro-organisms thereby making immune system of the body stronger.
- Strengthens the bones – Low-fat yogurt provides the right amount of calcium and regular intake of the same can help develop healthy bones as well as teeth.
- Sugar content – Although flavored yogurt is bound to tempt your taste buds, it is loaded with sugar. Devouring your favorite strawberry flavored yogurt can actually do more harm than good, and therefore, should be avoided. Excessive sugar can actually make you put on weight and increase the risk of diabetes.
- Artificial flavoring – No matter how many times brands have marketed their products as those containing healthier alternatives to sugar; the bottom line is that these artificial flavoring substances are no better. It is best to refrain from these and choose simple, plain low-fat yogurt. You can add natural fruits or honey at home to create an interesting mix of health and taste.
- Other substitutes of low-fat yogurt – Non-fat yogurt is a major alternative in the market for low-fat yogurt, and although its taste is not as good as plain yogurt, it is opted by individuals who follow a rigorous regimen to stay in shape and maintain their weight. Another new entrant in the market is the Greek yogurt that has been garnering attention all over the world ever since its introduction.
Low-fat yogurt along with fresh fruits can be used to make delicious shakes and smoothies especially to fulfill the dietary requirements of kids. There are other recipes on the internet that can help you make the best use of a cup of yogurt in the most creative manner. However, before buying a cup of low-fat yogurt, make sure to read the description given in the tiniest font possible on the label that will assist you in comprehending whether it is good for health or suits your requirements.
Low-fat yogurt has its own share of loyal customers who have defended its importance time and again. However, experts recommend that the best version to eat is plain, whole milk yogurt. Fats, proteins, and carbohydrates are essential components of a balanced diet which the body requires in sufficient quantities. Depriving the body of these necessary elements can work against the benefits of all health products. Consuming a low amount of fats and calories can inhibit the efficient functioning of the immune system and also provide a consistent feeling of fatigue. It is advisable to reduce the amount of other items in the diet that contain excessive lipids or amino acids.