Onychomycosis is the medical term for toenail fungus. This forms when the skin has abnormal Ph levels. Toenail fungus normally occurs in older people as the skin around the nail gets brittle and dry. The nails may crack allowing the fungus to enter. Some of the symptoms which characterize toenail fungus are:
- Thickening of the skin
- Pain in toes and toenails
- Crumbling of toenail
Primary underlying factors which may lead to toenail fungus include:
- Poor hygiene habits
- Weak immune system
- Bad circulation
- High moisture content in the environment
Toe Nail Fungus Remedies:
Let us take a look at some natural toenail fungus remedies. These allow one to get rid of toenail fungus, or prevent its formation.
Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is also known as Melaleuca. It has strong antifungal and antiseptic properties. This makes it a natural toenail fungus remedies.
How to use Tea tree oil as one of the toenail fungus remedies:
- Clean the affected area well
- Apply tea tree oil on to the toe with a cotton swab
- Let the oil stay over the toe for about10 minutes. Then clean up, using a clean cloth
Baking soda dries out excess moisture from the toes. This makes it an effective toenail fungus removal remedy. Baking soda also heals foot disorders, as it neutralizes foot odors. So by keeping the area clean, it helps prevent infection.
How to use baking soda for treating toenail fungus:
- Create a paste using baking soda and water
- Apply it over the toe
- Let it stay for 10 minutes before you cleanse it with water
For healing toenail fungus, you may also choose to dip your feet in a bucket full of water, mixed with baking soda.
Cornmeal contains a fungus which is otherwise harmless. However, cornmeal fungus counters the fungus which infects the toenail.
How to use cornmeal for treating toenail fungus:
- Mix cornmeal with around 2 liters of water
- Make sure that the tub fits your feet
- Let the cornmeal stay in water for an hour
- Soak your feet in the cornmeal mix for about half an hour
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar helps to heal toenail fungus by working upon pH levels of the skin.
By using apple cider vinegar, you can also ensure that the fungus doesn’t spread.
How to use apple cider vinegar for healing toenail fungus:
- Mix water and apple cider vinegar in equal parts
- Soak the infected part in the mixture for 30 minutes
- Make sure that you dry your foot well, thereafter
Mouthwash is known to have antiseptic properties. It keeps the fungi away, as well as the harmful bacteria. You may use mouthwash as an effective toenail fungus remedy.
How to use mouthwash for healing toenail fungus:
- Mix mouthwash and white vinegar in equal parts
- Soak the affected section in the mixture for 30 minutes
- Scrub the infected area with a scrubber
- Repeat twice daily, till the infection is gone
While Lavender oil is an antiseptic agent, it reduces skin irritation as well.
How to use lavender oil as one of the toenail fungus remedies:
- Dip a cotton ball in lavender oil and apply the oil to your toenail
- Let it stay for 10-20 minutes
- Wash with water
- Do this many times in a day, to heal the infection
Garlic contains compounds such as allicin and ajoene and has antifungal properties. It can act as one of the natural toenail fungus remedies.
How to use garlic as one of the natural toenail fungus remedies:
- Mix crushed garlic with white vinegar
- Apply the mixture to the affected area
- Cover the area with a bandage
- Leave it for a few hours
- Repeat every day, until the fungus clears
Some Changes In Your Diet:
Diet is one of the most important factors for ensuring one’s health. The right diet keeps immunity strong such that, one is better placed to fight off infections. This ensures that there is a lesser chance of the infection recurring once it heals.
Let’s take a look at some of the foods one must include in one’s diet:
- Yogurt: Yogurt has a probiotic effect on our bodies
- A diet high in protein so that it enables nail regrowth
- Foods rich in iron helps prevent brittle nails
- The diet should be high in fatty acids
- Low-fat dairy products should be a part of your diet
Toenail fungus is a seen as a cosmetic problem. But it could sometimes lead to other complications.
- If one has chronic toenail fungus, one is at a higher risk of bacterial cellulitis of the leg.
- If one is a diabetic, toenail fungus could lead to some other foot problems.
So if you are diabetic or if your immunity is weak, do not use home remedies for healing toenail fungus. Instead, contact your doctor and take the appropriate course of treatment.