Erection is considered as a physiological phenomenon where penis hardens and becomes enlarged. In healthy males, an erection occurs if he is sexually excited or stimulated. Erection is mostly active during an adolescent stage or if he is touched sexually or during masturbation. Erection is usually stopped when he is no longer aroused or after immediate ejaculation. Erections happen because of fantasy, actual contact with a person or during sexual intercourse. Usually, men with short penis experience bigger erections than with longer penises. Men have erections five to six times a day depending on their stamina. Sometimes, sexual problems are an indication of bigger concern. Erectile dysfunction is a type of sexual dysfunction where the erection of penis is not achieved during sexual intercourse. It can mainly occur due to stress, anxiety, hormonal imbalance, relationship problems thus affecting one’s self-confidence. Erectile dysfunction, also called impotence can lead to unsatisfactory sex life which is related to self-esteem. Emotional disturbance is also a major cause of erectile dysfunction or also when health problem pose less blood supply or damage nerves in the penis. It can be characterized as a condition of physical and physiological stress. Erectile dysfunction can be easily self-diagnosable most of the times.
Causes of erection:
- Erection problems occur in any age groups and are most prevalent among older men. There are various causes underlying the same and can be overcome easily with timely intervention.
- Erectile dysfunction mostly happens due to physical problems like vigorous exercise leading to nerve injury or limiting the blood supply to the penis.
- Overdependence on alcohol can lead to erection problems where excess alcohol is consumed or smoking.
- Health problems like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, depression, insomnia, etc. can also contribute to erectile dysfunction.
- Feeling of nervousness, stress due to work life or at home, relationship insecurity, self-consciousness, dissatisfaction with sexual life are all the factors leading to erectile dysfunction.
Treatments for erectile dysfunction:
- Erectile dysfunction is one of the most common symptoms which arise from different medical conditions.
- Discussing sexual problems with your partner, trying different sensual exercises can help to tackle erectile dysfunction to a greater extent.
- Getting counseling to tackle depression and anxiety by talking about a solution to overcome emotional problems can lead to solving erection.
- Avoiding tobacco, drugs, smoking and also limiting alcohol can help to resolve erection related problems.
- Consuming prescribed medicines can help to get erections like Viagra, Cialis, etc. Also, stopping medicines that may cause the problem should be avoided.
- Implantation of the penis by surgery or getting shots of medicine into the penis can help to get erections.
- Keeping a tab on testosterone levels is of importance as it can lower sex drive, mood swings, and lack of stamina leading to falling in erections.
The dietary pattern to treat erectile dysfunction:
- Fruits like watermelon have a compound similar to found in medicines which can help to boost sex drive. It also consists of antioxidant called lycopene which is beneficial for heart, skin, etc.
- Various types of fishes like shellfish (oysters) help to alleviate our testosterone levels which can boost our sex drive and erections.
- Coffee is considered to lessen erectile dysfunction as caffeine helps to boost the blood flow.
- Dark chocolate is rich in a compound called nitric oxide which can help to increase erections eventually leading to a good sex life. Also, it contains flavanols, a natural plant nutrient which increases the blood flow to the penis and lowers blood pressure reducing erectile dysfunction considerably.
- Nuts like walnuts contain an amino acid called arginine used to produce nitric oxide to help increase the erections.
- Peppers help in lowering blood pressure, reduce cholesterol levels which helps the circulation of blood to the heart and other organs like a penis. It also prevents blood clots regulating uniform blood flow.
- Olive oil helps the body to regulate hormonal levels by producing more testosterone which can help to solve the problem of erection. Also, it gets rid of bad cholesterol in our body as it contains monounsaturated fat which helps to maintain our blood pressure levels.
- Natural fruit juices like grapes and pomegranate increase the number of nitric oxide levels in our body which helps to solve the problem of erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction may be accompanied by premature or delayed ejaculation leading to embarrassment and reduced sexual desire. Also, hypertension drugs or medicines can cause erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction can be cured to a greater extent by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved oral medicines. An erection problem is mostly physical rather than emotional. It is a common male sexual dysfunction and should be solved by speaking with doctors about sex, proper medication and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. A healthcare professional helps to treat erection by its cause.